Woman Of The Wise - Kombucha Tea Recipe
This is the fungus and starter needed to make your Kombucha Tea.
Now you will need to build a nice home for him or her to grow and ferment.
You will need:
- A large glass container with a wide opening that will hold
- a minimum of 4 cups of liquid.
- A piece of cheese cloth or light cotton to ft the top of the container.
- 1 large elastic band or string to secure cotton top 4 cups of spring water
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 bags or 2 tbsp of Oolong, Green, White, or Black Tea.
Bring water to a boil. Add sugar and bring to a boil again, boiling for 5 minutes with lid on. Remove from heat.
Add Tea and let steep with lid on for at least 10 minutes.
Remove tea bags or filter out leaves. Let cool to room temperature. Pour into your glass container. Add SCOBY and starter. Cover and secure.
Leave your SCOBY to grow and ferment at room temperature, covered and out of direct sunlight for 7 to 10 days. Pour off tea, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the liquid with your SCOBY as a starter for the next batch.
Refrigerate tea and drink 1 to 3 ounces or more daily.
- Start with smaller amount to drink at first and work up to desired amount.
- 7 days is a sweeter tea (like ginger ale), while 10 days is more vinegar (like apple cider vinegar) depending on your preference.
- Recipe can be doubled or tripled as desired.
- Herbal teas can be used for flavor if desired.
- As your SCOBY grows you will have to divide and "adopt" out babies.